SubjectRe: any brand recomendation for a linux laptop ?
I'm writing this in Compaq Presario 900Z which seems to be similar to your Evo
1015v. After installing RedHat 7.3 with nomce, nopci, etc. I've disabled kudzu and
then compiled 2.4.20+ac2+acpi-20021212-2.4.20 with sound and IDE fixes. Now I have
UDMA IDE, sound, and 802.11b with prism card (actually I'm writing this at home on
remotely running Netscape in my office over X11/ssh/ADSL/wireless home FW8-604
router;). The only option left for kernel is ide-scsi, the rest is done by the
kernel automatically.

ACPI patch with acpid and aKpi provide correct information about battery status.
Did not try any goodies like suspend and hibernate yet.

The only problem is ATI IGP320M graphics. I can use only VESA X driver but it works
fast enough even in 32bpp with 1400x1050 resolution.

In conclusion, I'm quite happy with this notebook: some trouble with installation
but overall impression is very good.