    SubjectRe: kexec reboot code buffer
    >> The problem is that I have not figured out how to tell the memory
    >> allocator just what I need,
    > <snip>
    >> I guess I would make the standard zones something like:
    >> /*
    >> * ZONE_DMA < 16 MB ISA DMA capable memory
    >> * ZONE_NORMAL 16-896 MB direct mapped by the kernel
    >> * ZONE_PHYSMEM 896-4096 MB memory that is accessible with the
    >> MMU disabled.
    >> * ZONE_HIGHMEM > 4096MB only page cache and user processes
    >> */
    >
    > I think this might be overkill. ZONE_NORMAL gives you what you want,
    > and I don't think it's worth it to introduce a new one just for the
    > relatively short timespan where you have the new kernel loaded, but
    > haven't actually shut down. I think a little comment next to the
    > allocation explaining this will be more than enough.
    >
    > Martin, any ideas?

    We talked about creating a new zone specifically for DMA32 (ie <4Gb)
    for other reasons, but it's not there as yet. As Dave mentioned,
    ZONE_NORMAL should be sufficient, though if you need it physically
    contiguous, that might be a problem.

    How much memory do you need? If it's only 2Mb or so, why don't we
    statically reserve it at boot time and keep it set aside?

    M.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.021 / U:30.564 seconds]