SubjectRe: 2.4.20 kernel crashes while scanning partition list
Sorry I don't have a copy of your first email, so apologies if you've
already addressed these questions

Is it just the 2.4.20 kernel? Have you tried others?
Can we see some dmesg output? If it's not getting through the kernel
boot this would involve setting up a serial link to another machine
(there are howto's for this)
Another other clues? 'It crashes' isn't enough to go on.