    SubjectRe: Using O(1) scheduler with 600 processes.
    On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 00:18, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    > >> How many *processors*? Real ones.
    > >
    > > Quad P4 Xeon. Dell 6650
    > I'd say you definitely want O(1) sched then (or just run -aa or something).
    > But why don't you just try it and see?
    > M.

    Heh..Well, I am currently using 2.4.19rc5aa1. We're having some major
    stack problems, so I first when through trying to update the XFS
    codebase in 2.4.19rc5aa1. That didn't prove very fruitful. I couldn't
    even fully reverse the patch for some reason.

    So I decided to try 2.4.20aa1 instead, reversing the xfs patches, and
    then updating with a newer code base, worse problems reversing those xfs

    SO I decided to just roll my own with the known features we use in

    2.4.20 + xfs + lvm106 + rmap or aavm + O(1) sched + pte-highmem.

    well, I easily can get rmap+pte-highmem+xfs. Adding O(1) has proven to
    be a pain, at least where P4's are concerned. I actually succesfully
    merged 2.4.18-o1-p4 optimizations patch, only to have the vmlinux link
    fail at the end of the kernel build.

    I chased down the problem to an undefined reference to
    arch_load_balance, but I can't find anywhere it's actually undefined in
    my source.Come to find out, that smp_balance.h is only used for P4's
    anyway, or so it said, and that's just my target platform.

    I'm really close to nailing it, but I don't know where to go from here.

    My build errors are here:

    any of the 2.4.20-rmap* error files. The error3 file has the ld error.
    And as for building 2.4.20 with the updated patch, I can't even tell if
    it's merged right cause there's not menu entry for the prio.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.020 / U:14.220 seconds]