    SubjectRe: Expand VM
    Date
    Hi Valdis

    Create a new VMA on Linux B for Linux A is easy , but i have a problem , the
    address of VMA is returned on Linux B , so the VMA created on Linux B can not
    be used for process of linux A.
    The problem is "how can i return address of VMA created on LINUX B to Linux
    A , and use this space ?".

    Thanks
    Breno

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:55:38 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks wrote
    > On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:56:27 -0300, User &
    > <breno_silva@beta.bandnet.com.br> said:
    >
    > > I have one idea , and this is about expand virtual memory on linux boxes
    > > connected in LAN.
    > > Example: Linux A is processing come information , and need more memory ,
    so
    > > with this source , Linux A could access virtual memory on Linux B in LAN.
    >
    > We've seen *this* done before (remember diskless Sun3-50's?) - the /dev/swap
    > file would be a large file on an NFS mount from a server. At the
    > time, this actually made performance sense, because the old
    > 'Shoebox' drives the -50 came with were incredibly slow, and you
    > could actually do an NFS operation to a larger server (a -280 with
    > Fujitsu SuperEagle disks, for instance) faster than talking to the
    > local disk.
    >
    > These days, it's probably easier and cheaper to just buy more RAM
    > and/or disk for Linux A.
    >
    > > But i don´t know how translate the virtual address between Linux A and
    B , to