SubjectRe: Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7 ????
David D. Hagood wrote:

> AnonimoVeneziano wrote:
>> What does it mean this message?
>> Of what problem is the signal?
> It is most likely a hardware problem.
> When a device signals an interrupt, it asserts its interrupt pin. When
> the CPU asks the interrupt controller what device generated the
> interrupt, the interrupt controller tells the CPU.
> But if the interrupt line "goes away" before the CPU fetches the
> vector, then the interrupt controller doesn't "know" what IRQ caused
> the interrupt. So the interrupt controller sends an IRQ #7 to the CPU,
> along with setting a bit in the interrupt controller's status register
> that says in effect "this isn't really an IRQ 7, but I have no idea
> what it was. Sorry."
> If you have ISA cards in your system, remove them from the system and
> re-insert them (with the power off, of course) - they may have
> developed some oxidization on the card edge connector. You can also
> try scrubbing the card edge with some plain paper (a US dollar bill
> works even better, but you might not have access to dead presidents in
> Italy.)
> Ditto with PCI cards - remove them, polish the connector, then
> re-insert them.
Thank you very much all of you for the answers.So, this should be an
harmless message, I've tried to attach something to the parallel port ,
or disable it in the bios, but doesn't work, the only way to remove this
problem is to load the parport_pc module, this message with the module
loaded doesn't appear. I've tried with other bioses , and the problem
appears on all of them. If I compile in the kernel UP-IO-ACPI the
problem disappears, but I have a lot of other problems, because my
system is quite young and the support for IO-APIC is not added yet for
me.If I use only UP-APIC this problem appears, and if don't use apic
this disappears.

I'll try to remove some HW and retry. Someone had this problem without
APIC enabled?

Thank you