SubjectRe: CD Changer
Alexandre April wrote:
> I'm using kernel 2.4.x and to be able to use that patch I'll have do modify
> some compatibility issue, and I don't have time righht now to to that !

The problem is that Linus did not see fit to make the IDE changer code
present an IDE changer as multiple block devices, as a SCSI changer is.
As a result, you cannot mount each disk in the changer seperately - all
you have is a tool to change which disk is accessed by the single block

Linus's stated position is that since a disk change takes a fair amount
of time, in a situation where multiple users are accessing different
disks the system could thrash between the disks and go nowhere, slowly.
If you search old LKML posts of about three years ago you should be able
to find his exact post.

Now, I would dispute the logic, since the SCSI changer behavior is
identical - I have both a SCSI changer and an IDE changer, and the SCSI
changer will thrash if multiple processes are accessing different disks.
Since SCSI does it, I see no reason why IDE cannot be allowed the same
behavior. However, it's called "Linux" not "Davix"...

However, given that you can buy a 120G drive for US$120 or so, a changer
has a lot less utility now-a-days. Just buy a cheap hard disk and copy
the CDs onto it. That way, you have faster access, switch time is
eliminated, and wear-and-tear on the disks and the changer are eliminated.

You could even DD the disk to a file, and mount that file as an ISO9660
file system using loopback, thus preserving all the "CD-ishness" of the

Even if users wish to change disks - you can store a lot of disks in
120G of storage - just copy the disk over and mount the copy.