    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    Date
    Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:

    >Ahh, but replicated effort is something that open source people
    >do very well at indeed. If nvidia provided non-functional GPL
    >source code with all the proprietary 3rd party bits ripped out,
    >I would expect a hoard of developers would jump at the chance to
    >fixup the non-functional mess, clean it up, reimplement all the
    >missing proprietary bits. I'd bet you $20 US we could have a
    >functional driver within 2 weeks. And have a high quality driver
    >roughly equal to their proprietary one within 6 months. Thats
    >the way things work around these parts of the net. I bought a

    Ahhh, yes. I know. Replace "nvidia" with "netscape" and "driver" with
    "browser" and reread your paragraph. I remember having read exactly
    the same thing when netscape told us that they will "open the source
    to the navigator".

    And where were we six months later?

    Regards
    Henning

    --
    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
    INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH hps@intermeta.de

    Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de
    D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20