    SubjectRe: 2.5.57 IO slowdown with CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled
    Robert Macaulay <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > if you could please test that with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
    > Reverting that brings the speed back up

    OK. How irritating.

    Presumably there's a fairness problem - once a CPU goes in there to start
    spinning on the lock, the length of the loop is such that it's easy for
    non-holders to zoom in and claim it first. Or something.

    Unless another way of solving the problem which that patch solves presents
    itself we may need to revert it.

    Or not. Should a CONFIG_PREEMPT SMP kernel compromise its latency because of
    overused locking??

    I'd appreciate it if you could take a closer look at the mysterious
    self-reverting .config, please. See if you can work out what is causing it,
    tell me how you're rebooting (reboot -f? -fn? Big Red Button?) and whether
    the offending file is on the root filesystem, etc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.021 / U:19.596 seconds]