SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.21-pre3-ac3 and KT400 -high memory now works!
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 01:43, Samuel Flory wrote:
> Edward Tandi wrote:
>
> >I'm new to this list and most of the e-mail here seems to be very
> >low-level, so I'm not so sure if this is the right forum for these kinds
> >of questions -please do point me in the right direction...
> >
> >I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
> >processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with new-ish
> >kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support for this
> >chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:
> >

> >1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
> >falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
> >but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?
> >
> Have you tried to forcing the amount of memory? Try something short
> of you expected total. Maybe "mem=1000M".

OK, I tried this. If I set it to 800M it was OK. At 900M I got the same
problem.

Due to the nature of the replies I have been getting, I suspected that
the problem was with the IDE driver's initialisation. So I disabled the
"Use PCI DMA by default" option in the kernel.

It booted with the full amount of high memory. Not only that, but
"hdparm -X66 /dev/hda" after booting also works!

I can only conclude that there must be a bug in the IDE initialisation
code for this board. Thanks for the replies,

Ed-T.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.060 / U:0.696 seconds]