> From: James Bottomley <>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:30:15 -0500
> A GFP_KERNEL request is safely implemented as GFP_ATOMIC as long as the caller
> checks return for NULL. for dma_alloc_coherent return checking is a
> requirement because the system may return NULL anyway if it is out of mappings
> even with a GFP_KERNEL flag.
> Now what about the corollary, a platform that needs
> to sleep to setup the cpu mapings in a race-free manner?
> It could not ever honor GFP_ATOMIC in that case.

That got solved in recent 2.5, albiet with limit of 2MB of consistent /
coherent allocations at any one time. We return NULL if we run out of
space, and _all_ callers must check the return code of
pci_alloc_consistent and/or dma_alloc_coherent no matter what flags they
pass in.

Russell King ( The developer of ARM Linux