    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-freedrivers?
    On Mon, 06 Jan 2003, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:
    > > On Sun, 05 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
    > >
    > > > Developing programs does not "cost money"--that is just one way to do
    > > > it. But sometimes a person is in a position where he can develop a
    > > > certain program only if he makes it non-free to raise money. If you
    > > > are in such a position, unless you are going to make the program free
    > > > software soon after, then the best thing you can do is not develop it
    > > > at all. Someone else will develop a free program to do the job.
    > > > Freedom is worth the wait.
    > >
    > > Oh, but my backup can't just wait because the hard disk is
    > > likely to die before someone comes up with a free software that does
    > > better than Tivoli although this is sorta fragile on the systems I
    > > maintain. Are you going to sponsor for RAID-1 for the meanwhile, until
    > > the wait pays off?
    > Well for a price you could back up around the world, and have unlimited
    > amounts of storage per license and have unlimited (loads will limit the
    > unlimited) clients and have interoporability today. But it is not free
    > now, but stood a strong chance of happening in 6mo for the basics. The
    > serious core costly features would take longer to recover. May 18mo of
    > the next feature, and finally 36mo for the end game.
    > This is in flux now because ....

    Just in case: this was directed towards Richard Stallman, and was meant
    to convey the idea that free software of the future doesn't solve the
    problem I have today.

    Andre, your efforts, ideas and projects are much appreciated, and I've
    seen them underestimated, and while I have often (in private, without
    telling anyone, luckily) suspected they wouldn't work out that well,
    they all proved me wrong and worked MUCH better than I expected.

    Don't let your work get peed on by people who want you out of business
    or who don't recognize your achievements.

    Matthias Andree

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.021 / U:38.268 seconds]