SubjectRe: choice of raid5 checksumming algorithm wrong ?
From
Hi.

In the case s.o. wants to pull the patch:

http://www.rocklinux.org/sources/package/base/linux24/82-raid5-niceer-output.patch

It is only a one-liner. It is not really nice since I print the
"writing arround L2 cache" text when XOR_SELECT_TEMPLATE is defined -
this might also be the case for an later AlitVec version for PowerPC
or so. So we might want a more generic text - or a text in the
appropriated .h file whetre XOR_SELECT_TEMPLATE is defined ...

On: 11 Jan 2003 20:52:00 +0100,
Soeren Sonnenburg <kernel@nn7.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 20:39, Rene Rebe wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I also consider the kprint message a useability bug - and this is why
> > I posted a patch that prints out that the algorithm is choosen to
> > write "arround" the L2 cache ... - We patch this in our ROCK Linux
> > standard patches ...
>
> I would vote for such a cosmetic patch to be included...
>
> Soeren.
>
> > On: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:45:04 +0100,
> > Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@inet6.fr> wrote:

> > > SSE is always preferred because unlike other checksumming code it
> > > doesn't use the processor caches when reading/writing data/checksum.
> > > This is slower (if several GB/s can be considered slow) for the
> > > checksumming but far better for the overall system performance.
> > >
> > > LB.
> >
> > - René
> >
> > --
> > René Rebe - Europe/Germany/Berlin
> > e-mail: rene.rebe@gmx.net, rene@rocklinux.org
> > web: www.rocklinux.org, drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/
> >
> > Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be
> > charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my
> > address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.063 / U:0.516 seconds]