    SubjectRe: UnitedLinux violating GPL?
    Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> said:
    > On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:55:21AM +0100, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > > they aren't in violation. Sure, having a look at the non-official patches
    > > they apply would be nice, but not mandated by GPL.
    >
    > [ disclaimer: the UnitedLinux issue in the subject is already resolved ]

    Right.

    > This is wrong. Section 3 of the GPL says that you have to accompany the
    > binaries either with the complete source code (and this includes all
    > patches you have applied) or with a "written offer, valid for at least
    > three years, to give any third party for a charge no more than your cost
    > of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    > machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code".

    Great! The "complete source code" for the kernel does include each and
    every single patch applied since linux-0.0.1? Guess I'll have to complain
    to a certain Torvalds then...

    Don't be silly. "Complete source code" means the source needed to rebuild
    the binary, nothing more. If that is a mangled version derived from some
    other source, so be it. You are explicitly allowed to distribute changed
    versions, but only under GPL. [IANAL etc, so...]