    SubjectRe: any chance of 2.6.0-test*?
    On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 16:10, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > Any specific concerns/issues/wishlist items you want taken care of
    > before doing it or is it a "generalized comfort level" kind of thing?
    > Let me know, I'd be much obliged for specific directions to move in.

    IDE is all broken still and will take at least another three months to
    fix - before we get to 'improve'. The entire tty layer locking is terminally
    broken and nobody has even started fixing it. Just try a mass of parallel
    tty/pty activity . It was problematic before, pre-empt has taken it to dead,
    defunct and buried.

    Most of the drivers still don't build either.

    I think its important that we get to the stage that we can actually say

    - It compiles (as close to all the mainstream bits of it as possible)
    - The stuff that is destined for the bitbucket is marked in Config and people
    agree it should go
    - It works (certainly the common stuff)
    - Its statistically unlikely to eat your computer
    - It passes Cerberus uniprocessor and smp with/without pre-empt

    Otherwise everyone wil rapidly decide that ".0-pre" means ".0 as in Windows"
    at which point you've just destroyed your testing base.

    Given all the new stuff should be in, I'd like to see a Linus the meanie
    round of updating for a while which is simply about getting all the 2.4 fixes
    and the 2.5 driver compile bugs nailed, and if it doesn't fix a compile bug
    or a logic bug it doesn't go in.

    No more "ISAPnP TNG" and module rewrites please

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.058 / U:2.476 seconds]