SubjectWestern Digital hard drive and DMA
OK, I have heard that other people have been having this problem for a while
now, but I havent been able to find much about what causes it. I have a
Western Digital hard drive in my computer (60GB, 5400 RPM) I can use it just
fine with no DMA, but it runs much faster with DMA. However, when I use DMA,
all my data is slowly corrupted, and I begin having to re-install packages
all the time. After about a month, my system deteriorates to the point where
I have to reinstall slackware. I have no idea why this is happening, but I
know some people who have had the same experience under Linux with Western
Digital hard drives, but not with other brands. I am assuming this is a
problem with Western Digital's implimentation of DMA, but shouldnt it do
something to prevent errors?

Adam Jaskiewicz
Never tell a lie unless it is absolutely convenient.