    SubjectWestern Digital hard drive and DMA
    OK, I have heard that other people have been having this problem for a while
    now, but I havent been able to find much about what causes it. I have a
    Western Digital hard drive in my computer (60GB, 5400 RPM) I can use it just
    fine with no DMA, but it runs much faster with DMA. However, when I use DMA,
    all my data is slowly corrupted, and I begin having to re-install packages
    all the time. After about a month, my system deteriorates to the point where
    I have to reinstall slackware. I have no idea why this is happening, but I
    know some people who have had the same experience under Linux with Western
    Digital hard drives, but not with other brands. I am assuming this is a
    problem with Western Digital's implimentation of DMA, but shouldnt it do
    something to prevent errors?

    Thanks.

    --
    Adam Jaskiewicz