    SubjectRe: ide drive dying?
    On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 wrote:
    > I have *never* lost data to a Maxtor disk. I have had IBM, Fujitsu, Western Digital, and DEC drives all fail on me before.
    > It's dissapointing that Maxtor are reducing their warranty from 3 years to 1 year, but on the other hand, I've never needed it at all.

    The problem is that you will eventually lose data. No matter what the
    brand is. Some disks tend to work better for longer time. Sometimes you
    are just out of luck. With some brands, luck seems to be running out
    (Quantum). Other brands may work better, but they will eventually fail.

    I've had failed Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Fujitsu, Western Digital, Quantum,

    The only brand which never failed that I use is Samsung (probably due to
    the fact that I only have 2 of them compared to the other brands).

    I do expect them to fail and I have backups of the most important stuff I

    The best I found for reliability (except for backups) is haveing a
    software raid 5 on many disks of about same capacity (but different

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.030 / U:4.892 seconds]