    From said:
    > > OK, I have heard that other people have been having this problem for a while
    > > now, but I havent been able to find much about what causes it. I have a
    > > Western Digital hard drive in my computer (60GB, 5400 RPM) I can use it just
    > > fine with no DMA, but it runs much faster with DMA. However, when I use DMA,
    > > all my data is slowly corrupted, and I begin having to re-install packages
    > > all the time. After about a month, my system deteriorates to the point where
    > > I have to reinstall slackware. I have no idea why this is happening, but I
    > > know some people who have had the same experience under Linux with Western
    > > Digital hard drives, but not with other brands. I am assuming this is a
    > > problem with Western Digital's implimentation of DMA, but shouldnt it do
    > > something to prevent errors?
    > What is the chipset of the interface it's on?

    Use DMA for a week or so, and / is mangled beyond recognition (seems to
    happen with read-only access too). Chipset is intel (sr440bx board, PIIX4E
    IDE). Have heard of similar problems with DMA on WD drives, but got no
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.021 / U:157.320 seconds]