    SubjectRe: invalidate_inode_pages in 2.5.32/3
    Date
    On Friday 06 September 2002 00:19, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > I'm not sure what semantics we really want for this. If we were to
    > "invalidate" a mapped page then it would become anonymous, which
    > makes some sense.

    There's no need to leave the page mapped, you can easily walk the rmap list
    and remove the references.

    > If the VM wants to reclaim a page, and it has PG_private set then
    > the vm will run mapping->releasepage() against the page. The mapping's
    > releasepage must try to clear away whatever is held at ->private. If
    > that was successful then releasepage() must clear PG_private, decrement
    > page->count and return non-zero. If the info at ->private is not
    > freeable, releasepage returns zero. ->releasepage() may not sleep in
    > 2.5.
    >
    > So. NFS can put anything it likes at page->private. If you're not
    > doing that then you don't need a releasepage. If you are doing that
    > then you must have a releasepage().

    Right now, there are no filesystems actually doing anything filesystem
    specific here, are there? I really wonder if making this field, formerly
    known as buffers, opaque to the vfs is the right idea.

    --
    Daniel