    SubjectRe: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
    > I thought that I already tried to explain this to you.  (although
    > it could have been on one of those too-much-coffee-days :)

    You told me, but I'm far from convinced this is the problem. I think
    it's more likely this is a side-effect of a server issue - something
    like a lot of dropped packets and retransmits, though not necessarily
    that.

    > Something strange happens to the clients when NAPI is enabled on
    > the Specweb clients. Somehow the start using a lot more CPU.
    > The increased idle time on the server is because the _clients_ are
    > CPU maxed. I have some preliminary oprofile data for the clients,
    > but it appears that this is another case of Specweb code just
    > really sucking.

    Hmmm ... if you change something on the server, and all the clients
    go wild, I'm suspicious of whatever you did to the server. You need
    to have a lot more data before leaping to the conclusion that it's
    because the specweb client code is crap.

    Troy - I think your UP clients weren't anywhere near maxed out on
    CPU power, right? Can you take a peek at the clients under NAPI load?

    Dave - did you ever try running 4 specweb clients bound to each of
    the 4 CPUs in an attempt to make the clients scale better? I'm
    suspicious that you're maxing out 4 4-way machines, and Troy's
    16 UPs are cruising along just fine.

    M.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.021 / U:0.844 seconds]