    SubjectRe: remount reiserfs hangs under heavy load 2.4.20pre5

    On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Oleg Drokin wrote:

    > > Whenever "mount -o remount -n -w /dev/hdax" is issued under disk
    > > activities, the system would freezed, and had to be hard booted.
    >
    > What kind of disk activies?

    Activities such as compiling the kernel or rcp large files on /dev/hda3

    > What was mount status of filesystems before that command was it readonly
    > mounted ?

    Yes, read-only on /dev/hda2, trying to change to read-write.

    > I cannot reproduce this behavior with 2.4.19, can you please describe in more
    > details how can we reproduce?

    Using reiserfs on say /dev/hda2 200MB (/usr), mount initially as
    read-only, another reiserfs /dev/hda3 800MB (/usr/src), mounted as
    read-write, start compiling linux on /usr/src/linux, let it run for about
    5 to 10 minutes, switch to another xterm and remount /usr as read-write
    ... then it may hang sometimes only. My PC is P3 1.13GHz, 650MB Ram, 30GB
    hard disk. If the system is not heavily loaded enough, start rcp/cp large
    amount of data from one partition to another or to another remote machine,
    and remount /usr as read-only and it may hang.

    Thanks,
    Jeff.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:7.423 / U:0.012 seconds]