    SubjectRe: [RFC] mount flag "direct" (fwd)
    "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es> writes:

    > "A month of sundays ago Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:"
    >> On 2002-09-03T18:29:02,
    >> "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es> said:
    >>
    >> > The directory entry would certainly have to be reread after a write
    >> > operation on disk that touched it - or more simply, the directory entry
    >> > would have to be reread every time it were needed, i.e. be uncached.
    >>
    >> *ouch* Sure. Right. You just have to read it from scratch every time. How
    >> would you make readdir work?
    >
    > Well, one has to read it from scratch. I'll set about seeing how to do.
    > CLues welcome.

    Just an idea, I don't know how well this works what with the 'IDE
    can't do write barriers right' and related effects:

    - Allow all nodes to cache as many blocks as they wish
    - The atomic operation "update this block" includes "invalidate this
    block, if cached" broadcast to all nodes

    Performance would certainly become an issue; depending on the
    architecture bus sniffing as in certain MP cache consistency protocols
    might be feasible (I, node 3, see a transfer from node 1 going to
    block #42, which is in my cache; so I update my cache using the data
    part of the block transfer as it comes by on the bus).

    So long,
    Joe

    --
    "I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear
    word processor."