    SubjectRe: [RFC] mount flag "direct" (fwd)
    On 2002-09-03T23:07:01,
    "Peter T. Breuer" <> said:

    > > *ouch* Sure. Right. You just have to read it from scratch every time. How
    > > would you make readdir work?
    > Well, one has to read it from scratch. I'll set about seeing how to do.
    > CLues welcome.

    Yes, use a distributed filesystem. There are _many_ out there; GFS, OCFS,
    OpenGFS, Compaq has one as part of their SSI, Inter-Mezzo (sort of), Lustre,
    PvFS etc.

    Any of them will appreciate the good work of a bright fellow.

    Noone appreciates reinventing the wheel another time, especially if - for
    simplification - it starts out as a square.

    > > Just please, tell us why.
    > You don't really want the whole rationale.

    Yes, I do.

    You tell me why Distributed Filesystems are important. I fully agree.

    You fail to give a convincing reason why that must be made to work with
    "all" conventional filesystems, especially given the constraints this implies.

    Conventional wisdom seems to be that this can much better be handled specially
    by special filesystems, who can do finer grained locking etc because they
    understand the on disk structures, can do distributed journal recovery etc.

    What you are starting would need at least 3-5 years to catch up with what
    people currently already can do, and they'll improve in this time too.

    I've seen your academic track record and it is surely impressive. I am not
    saying that your approach won't work within the constraints. Given enough
    thrust, pigs fly. I'm just saying that it would be nice to learn what reasons
    you have for this, because I believe that "within the constraints" makes your
    proposal essentially useless (see the other mails).

    In particular, they make them useless for the requirements you seem to have. A
    petabyte filesystem without journaling? A petabyte filesystem with a single
    write lock? Gimme a break.

    Please, do the research and tell us what features you desire to have which are
    currently missing, and why implementing them essentially from scratch is
    preferrable to extending existing solutions.

    You are dancing around all the hard parts. "Don't have a distributed lock
    manager, have one central lock." Yeah, right, has scaled _really_ well in the
    past. Then you figure this one out, and come up with a lock-bitmap on the
    device itself for locking subtrees of the fs. Next you are going to realize
    that a single block is not scalable either because one needs exclusive write
    lock to it, 'cause you can't just rewrite a single bit. You might then begin
    to explore that a single bit won't cut it, because for recovery you'll need to
    be able to pinpoint all locks a node had and recover them. Then you might
    begin to think about the difficulties in distributed lock management and
    recovery. ("Transaction processing" is an exceptionally good book on that I

    I bet you a dinner that what you are going to come up with will look
    frighteningly like one of the solutions which already exist; so why not
    research them first in depth and start working on the one you like most,
    instead of wasting time on an academic exercise?

    > So, start thinking about general mechanisms to do distributed storage.
    > Not particular FS solutions.

    Distributed storage needs a way to access it; in the Unix paradigm,
    "everything is a file", that implies a distributed filesystem. Other
    approaches would include accessing raw blocks and doing the locking in the
    application / via a DLM (ie, what Oracle RAC does).

    Lars Marowsky-Brée <>

    Immortality is an adequate definition of high availability for me.
    --- Gregory F. Pfister

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.026 / U:207.616 seconds]