    SubjectRe: (fwd) Re: [RFC] mount flag "direct"
    On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:02:07AM +0200, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > > There is more to coherency and preserving fs structure than "don't cache
    > Sure. So what? What's wrong with a O_DIRDIRECT flag that makes all
    > opens retrace the path from the root fs _on disk_ instead of from the
    > directory cache?

    Did you read Antons post about this?

    > I suggest that changing FS structure is an operation that is so
    > relatively rare in the projected environment (in which gigabytes of
    > /data/ are streaming through every second) that you can make them as
    > expensive as you like and nobody will notice.

    Why do you want a filesystem if you're not going to use any filesystem
    operations? If all you want to do is to split your shared device into
    multipe (static) logical units use a logical volume manager.

    If you _do_ need a filesystem, use something like gfs. Have you looked
    at it at all?

    Ragnar Kjørstad
    Big Storage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.416 / U:1.864 seconds]