SubjectRe: aic7xxx sets CDR offline, how to reset?
dledford@redhat.com said:
> But, regardless, the REQ_BARRIER ordering *can* be preserved while
> using abort processing. Since the command that needs aborting is, as
> you are hypothesizing, before the REQ_BARRIER command, and since it
> hasn't completed, then the REQ_BARRIER command can not be complete and
> neither can any of the commands behind the REQ_BARRIER.

You are correct. However, as soon as you abort the problem command (assuming
the device recovers from this), it will go on its merry way processing the
remaining commands in the queue. Assuming one of these is the barrier, you've
no way now of re-queueing the aborted command so that it comes before the
ordered tag barrier. You can try using a head of queue tag, but it's still a
nasty race.

> On direct access devices you are only concerned about ordering around
> the barrier, not ordering of the actual tagged commands, so for abort
> you can actually call abort on all the commands past the REQ_BARRIER
> command first, then the REQ_BARRIER command, then the hung command.
> That would do the job and preserve REQ_BARRIER ordering while still
> using aborts.

I agree, but the most likely scenario is that now you're trying to abort
almost every tag for that device in the system. Isn't reset a simpler
alternative to this?

> > At best, abort probably causes a command to overtake a barrier it shouldn't,
> > at worst we abort the ordered tag that is the barrier and transactional
> > integrity is lost.
> >
> > When error correction is needed, we have to return all the commands for that
> > device to the block layer so that ordering and barrier issues can be taken
> > care of in the reissue.

> Not really, this would be easily enough done in the ML_QUEUE area of
> the scsi layer, but it matters not to me. However, if you throw a
> BDR, then you have cancelled all outstanding commands and (typically)
> initiated a hard reset of the device which then requires a device
> settle time. All of this is more drastic and typically takes longer
> than the individual aborts which are completed in a single connect->
> disconnect cycle without ever hitting a data phase and without
> triggering a full device reset and requiring a settle time.

I agree. I certainly could do it. I'm just a lazy so-and-so. However, think
what it does. Apart from me having to do more work, the code becomes longer
and the error recovery path more convoluted and difficult to follow. The
benefit? well, error recovery might be faster in certain circumstances. I
just don't see that it's a cost effective change. If you're hitting error
recovery so often that whether it recovers in half a second or several
seconds makes a difference, I'd say there's something else wrong.

James

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.170 / U:0.440 seconds]