SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Linux consistently crashes running grip. (continued)
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Kenneth Corbin wrote:

> Long description of same problem. Still continuing after dumping the nvidia
> drivers and upgrading to the latest Redhat kernel. Anything else I can do?
>
> I am not subscribed to this list, please cc me with any response.
> Thanks in advance for wading through this.
>
> 1. Linux consistently crashes running grip.
>
> 2. Grip 3.0.1-1 is a graphical X frontend for a variety of CD ripper and MP3
> encoder programs. When it is only ripping CD's everything is OK. But when
> it is ripping and encoding tracks, the system will die shortly after the
> ripping operation finishes while the encoding operation is going on. The
> time till death is variable, it has ranged from 5 seconds to 5 minutes on one
> occasion, but it always crashes. It happens with two different encoders
> (notlame and oggenc) and two different rippers (cdparanoia and cdda2wav) The
> quickest way to induce a failure is to make one pass ripping tracks and a
> second pass asking it to rip and encode. It is smart enough to realize the
> tracks have already been ripped and doesn't do much beyond checking that they
> are all accounted for. But my system still crashes.

> Gnu C 2.96

Did you try testing your ram for any defects (even if it means trying
various combinations of ram) ?
The only times I had similar problems was when I had faulty ram on my
motherboard or (in 1 case) a really defective onboard ide controller.

Also be careful with Gcc 2.96, there is a lot of problems related to it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.043 / U:0.100 seconds]