    SubjectRe: Linux kernel lockup with BVM SCSI controller on MCPN765 PPC board
    Hi Gérard,

    We have finaly tracked the problem down with Motorola.
    There is a major hardware problem with the Hawk-2 ASIC used as the main
    PCI/Memory bridge on the MCPN765 board that causes a hardware lockup with
    the BVM SCSI controller and probably other devices as well.
    The problem is related to null byte enables.
    There is no software work around, however the Hawk-3 chip fixes the problem.

    Thanks for looking at this.

    Gérard Roudier wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Terry Barnaby wrote:
    >>We have a major problem with using a BVM SCSI controller on a Motorola
    >>MCPN765 PowerPC Compact PCI Motherboard. When the SCSI driver module is
    >>loaded and starts to perform SCSI device interrogation the system will
    >>completely lock up.
    >>It appears that the hardware is locked up, the kernel locks up during
    >>a low level serial console print routine (serial_console_write). No interrupts
    >>occur (we have even disabled interrupts in the serial_console_write routine
    >>to make sure).
    >>The BVM SCSI controller is based on the LSI53C1010-66 chip and we are using the
    >>sym53c8xx_2 SCSI driver (although the same problem occurs with the
    >>sym53c8xx SCSI driver.
    >>We are using MontaVista Linux 2.1 with the 2.4.17 kernel.
    >>Using this SCSI controller board with a Motorola MCP750 PowerPC motherboard
    >>works fine. One of the differences between the Motherboards is that the
    >>MCPN765 has a 66MHz/64bit PCI bus while the MCP750 has a 33MHz/32bit PCI bus.
    >>The MCPN765 uses a Hawk ASIC for Memory/PCI bus control.
    >>We have been attempting to debug the driver to find the cause but have been
    >>hitting brick walls. The system appears to lock up when the SCSI board
    >>is performing a DataIn phase under the control of its on-board SCRIPTS processor.
    >>As the system has completely locked up we have not been able to find the cause.
    >>Any information on possible causes or ideas on how to proceed would be most
    > The software driver hasn't any handle on the actual differences between
    > the BUS that leads to failure and the one that allows success:
    > 1) The PCI clock is full hardware dependant. There is nothing software can
    > change here.
    > 2) Same for the PCI BUS path. A 64 bit PCI BUS just allows to transfer 64
    > bit of data per BUS cycle but a 32 bit PCI BUS can only transfer 32 bit
    > per PCI cycle.
    > 3) Both PCI BUSes width allows 64 bit memory addressing.
    > As we know, PCI device drivers relies on kernel generic PCI driver that
    > provides configuration access and DMA address translation services. The
    > kernel PCI related code uses machine-dependent and bridge-dependant
    > methods. So, IMO, there is far more places than just the driver code that
    > are involved in the failure you report (including the related pieces of
    > hardware).
    > I would suggest you to check the following at first:
    > 1) Give a look at the PCI configuration space of the chip (or report it).
    > For example, a base address that doesn't fit in 32 bit is very
    > uncommon. Etc...
    > 2) Configure the driver for 32 bit DMA (DMA MODE = 0). This will ensure
    > that all DMA addresses will fit in 32 bit and that no PCI dual cycle
    > will occur on behalf of the 1033-66 chip.
    > Gérard.

    Dr Terry Barnaby BEAM Ltd
    Phone: +44 1454 324512 Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd
    Fax: +44 1454 313172 Yate, Bristol, BS37 5NH, UK
    Email: Web:
    BEAM for: Visually Impaired X-Terminals, Parallel Processing, Software Dev
    "Tandems are twice the fun !"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.027 / U:26.212 seconds]