    SubjectRe: [RFC] mount flag "direct" (fwd)
    On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > > How does the other user's of this device "know" that there is
    > > a new file so it can update its notion of the block-device state?
    >
    > The block device itself is stateless at the block level. Every block
    > access goes "direct to the metal".
    >
    > The question is how much FS state is cached on either kernel.
    > If it is too much, then I will ask how I can cause to be less, perhaps
    > by use of a flag that parallels how O_DIRECT works. I thought that new
    > files were entries in a directories inode and I agree that inodes are
    > held in memory! But I don't know when they are first read or reread.

    And neither can you know. After all, this is filesystem dependant.

    You cannot decide whether filesystem-independant clustering is
    possible unless you know that all the filesystems play by your
    rules. So much for filesystem-independance.

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2002/
    "You're one of those condescending OLS attendants"