    SubjectRe: [RFC] mount flag "direct"
    On Sep 03, 2002  14:26 -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > > > Your approach is not feasible.
    > >
    > > But you have to be specific about why not. I've responded to the
    > > particular objections so far.
    >
    > You make it sound like you bet your masters degree on
    > doing a distributed filesystem without filesystem support ;)

    Actually, we are using ext3 pretty much as-is for our backing-store
    for Lustre. The same is true of InterMezzo, and NFS, for that matter.
    All of them live on top of a standard "local" filesystem, which doesn't
    know the things that happen above it to make it a network filesystem
    (locking, etc).

    That isn't to say that I agree with just taking a local filesystem and
    putting it on a shared block device and expecting it to work with only
    the normal filesystem code. We do all of our locking above the fs
    level, but we do have some help in the VFS (intent-based lookup, patch
    in the Lustre CVS repository, if people are interested).

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger