    SubjectRe: v2.6 vs v3.0
    On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Am I hapyy with current 2.5.x? Sure. Are others? Apparently. But does
    > that mean that we have a top-notch VM and we should bump the major number?
    > I wish.
    >
    > The block IO cleanups are important, and that was the major thing _I_
    > personally wanted from the 2.5.x tree when it was opened. I agree with you
    > there. But I don't think they are major-number-material.
    >
    > Anyway, people who are having VM trouble with the current 2.5.x series,
    > please _complain_, and tell what your workload is. Don't sit silent and
    > make us think we're good to go.. And if Ingo is right, I'll do the 3.0.x
    > thing.

    I personally have the feeling that 2.2.x performed better than 2.4.x
    does, but I cannot go figure because I'm using ReiserFS 3.6 file
    systems. I'd also really like to give Linux 2.5.39 or whatever is
    current a whirl, but I'm currently using LVM and I'd need anything to
    read that. Which one (EVMS or LVM2) is an ignorant-proof install and
    reliable enough to read old LVM1 partitions and volumes?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:3.245 / U:0.576 seconds]