    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] NF-HIPAC: High Performance Packet Classification

    It would be nice if people would start ccing networking related
    discussions to netdev. I missed the first part of the discussion
    but i take it the NF-HIPAC posted a patch.. BTW, I emailed the authors
    when i read the paper but never heard back.
    What i wanted the authors was to compare against one of the tc
    classifiers not iptables.

    On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

    > You are talking about a lot of independant things, but I'm going
    > to defer my contributions until we have actual code people can
    > start plugging netfilter into if they want.

    I hacked some code using the traffic control framework around OLS time;
    there are a lot of ideas i havent incorporated yet. Too many hacks, too
    little time ;-> I think this is what i may have showed Roberto on my
    laptop over a drink.
    I probably wouldnt have put this code out if my complaints about
    netfilter werent ignored.
    And you know what happens when you start writting poetry, I ended worrying
    more than just about the performance problems of iptables; for example
    the code i have now makes it easy to extend the path a packet takes using
    simple policies.
    The code i have is based around tc framework. One thing i liked about
    netfilter is the idea of targets being separate modules; so the code i
    have infact makes uses of netfilter targets.
    I plan on revisiting this code at some point, maybe this weekend now that
    i am reminded of it ;->
    Take a look:
    http://www.cyberus.ca/~hadi/patches/action.DESCRIPTION

    > About using syslog to record messages, that is doomed to failure,
    > implement log messages via netlink and use that to log the events
    > instead.

    Agreed, you need a netlink to syslog converter.
    Netlink is king -- all the policies in the above code are netlink
    controlled. All events are also netlink transported. You dont have to send
    every little message you see; netlink allows you to batch and you could
    easily do a nagle like algorithm. Next steps are a distributed version
    of netlink..

    cheers,
    jamal

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:3.727 / U:0.056 seconds]