SubjectRe: [BUG] apm resume hangs on IBM T22 with 2.4.19 (harddrive sleeps forever)
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:58:11 +0200 (CEST) Karel Gardas <> wrote:
> I have problem with resume from suspend on IBM T22 with kernel 2.4.19
> patched with rmap-14a and usagi-20020916. Actually the problem is that OS
> resume well from suspend (it prints some messages to console for example
> from FW droping some packets), but harddisc is still sleeping and never
> wake up...

I have a T22 and run 2.4.20-pre5 and 2.4.19-pre8 with no patches and
have no problems resuming from suspend.

> Kernel is compiled with frame-buffer support and I always run XFree now at
> version 4.1.0. I've tested suspend/resume cycle with X and without them
> but the behavior is still the same - harddisc sleeps forever (or to reset)
> - as I said kernel seems to run, there is 50-70% chance that console
> (graphics) resume well and so I'm even able to type some command into
> xterm (like cd /usr; find), but then it hangs on sleeping harddisc. Magic
> system request keys are working too.

My system is set up to always switch VTs (away from X) when it suspends
and back when it resumes.

> Kernel is compiled with Debian's gcc 2.95.4/binutils Full
> config is attached to this email. I have to add that I've not experienced
> such problems with 2.4.18 - patched with older version of usagi and
> rmap-12<something> yet. It always waits a bit after resume, but harddrive
> is always finally woken up.
> Any other information which I have to provide you for better debugging
> this problem?

All I can suggest is that you try 2.4.19 without any patches, then with
the rmap patch and then with only the USAGI patch and see if that makes
any difference.

Stephen Rothwell