    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1
    On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 08:55:39PM +0200, Peter Waechtler wrote:
    > > AIX and Irix deploy M:N - I guess for a good reason: it's more
    > > flexible and combine both approaches with easy runtime tuning if
    > > the app happens to run on SMP (the uncommon case).
    > No, AIX and IRIX do it that way because their processes are so bloated
    > that it would be unthinkable to do a 1:1 model.

    And BSD? And Solaris?

    > Instead of taking the traditional "we've screwed up the normal system
    > primitives so we'll event new lightweight ones" try this:
    > We depend on the system primitives to not be broken or slow.
    > If that's a true statement, and in Linux it tends to be far more true
    > than other operating systems, then there is no reason to have M:N.

    No matter how fast you do context switch in and out of kernel and a sched
    to see what runs next, it can't be done as fast as it can be avoided.
    Being N:M doesn't mean all implementations must be faster, just that doing
    it all in user mode CAN be faster.

    Benchmarks are nice, I await results from a loaded production threaded
    DNS/mail/web/news/database server. Well, I guess production and 2.5 don't
    really go together, do they, but maybe some experimental site which could
    use 2.5 long enough to get numbers. If you could get a threaded database
    to run, that would be a good test of shared resources rather than a bunch
    of independent activities doing i/o.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.049 / U:89.148 seconds]