    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1
    On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Bill Huey wrote:

    > Don't remember off hand, but it's like to be several times a second which is
    > often enough to be a problem especially on large systems with high load.
    >
    > The JVM with incremental GC is being targetted for media oriented tasks
    > using the new NIO, 3d library, etc... slowness in safepoints would cripple it
    > for these tasks. It's a critical item and not easily address by the current
    > 1:1 model.

    Could you comment on how whell this works (or not) with linuxthreads,
    Solaris, and NGPT? I realize you probably haven't had time to look at NPTL
    yet. If an N:M model is really better for your application you might be
    able to just run NGPT.

    Since preempt threads seem a problem, cound a dedicated machine run w/o
    preempt? I assume when you say "high load" that you would be talking a
    server, where performance is critical.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc