    SubjectKernel Issues
    Date

    I have a problem installing Mandrake 8.2.

    Installation appears to work fine but when I try and boot the system the
    following is a copy of the kernel messages as boot fails (last 8 lines)

    PCI <something>
    PCI <something>
    PCI <something>
    PCI <something>
    Isapnp: Scanning for PnP Cards
    CPU0: Machine Check Exception: 00000000000000000007
    Bank 3: b40000000000000000000083b at 0000000000000001fc0003b3
    Kernel Panic: Unable to continue

    Having played around with numerous installation techniques (full/min,
    various partition configs/types) over the last 4 days I haven't made any
    progress.

    I even tried Red Hat 7.3 (Valhalla) and the same happened.

    I built the system last week.
    Here is an outline of my system:

    Motherboard:
    http://www.octek.com.hk/products/ATI/ati13xp-mse.htm

    CPU:
    AMD Athlon 1.6 XP

    RAM:
    256MB 266 DDR one module (1 free)

    HD:
    Seagate 40MB

    CDROM:
    LG DVD Drive

    No PCI Cards mounted or AGP cards.

    Sound and Video is onboard, see http above for details.

    In my exploring of the installation via the rescue mode, I noticed the
    Config file in boot and was wondering how this is used? Is this only used
    when compiling the kernel or would changes make any difference now? A few of
    the switches looked promising to try playing with but since I am not really
    sure where to start compiling the kernel some advice here would help. Where
    do I find documentation on what each config_Switch in the config file does
    for example?

    The third party kernel modules that are asked for when installing might also
    be worth a try... advice here appreciated.

    My gut feeling is that given the error message the boot fails when looking
    for an ISApnp card... my motherboard is very new
    (http://www.octek.com.hk/products/ATI/ati13xp-mse.htm) and doesn't have an
    ISA slot.

    Can anyone offer me a little advice here? Is there any way to do it without
    having to recompile the kernel? (Not done this before relatively new to
    Linux, though I have plenty of time to burn :)

    D Scaife
    dominicscaife@yahoo.com (yahoo only sends html style mail which list sees as
    spam hence the reason this comes from elsewhere)

    p.s. Also played with the System.map and tried deleting all those lines
    beginning with isapnp... no luck... these are shots in the dark :)ut feeling
    is that given the error message the boot fails when looking for an ISApnp
    card... my motherboard is very new (see profile) and doesn't have an ISA
    slot.