SubjectRe: 2.5.36-mm1 dbench 512 profiles
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:32:48PM +0000, Hanna Linder wrote:
> --On Friday, September 20, 2002 11:51:13 -0700 Hanna Linder <hannal@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > Perhaps it is time to reconsider replacing fastwalk with dcache_rcu.
>
> These patches were written by Maneesh Soni. Since the Read-Copy Update
> infrastructure has not been accepted into the mainline kernel yet (although
> there were murmurings of it being acceptable) you will need to apply
> those first. Here they are, apply in this order. Too big to post
> inline text though. These are provided against 2.5.36-mm1.
>

> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lse/rcu_ltimer-2.5.36-mm1
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lse/read_barrier_depends-2.5.36-mm1
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lse/dcache_rcu-12-2.5.36-mm1
>
> There has been quite a bit of testing done on this and it has proven
> quite stable. If anyone wants to do any additional testing that would
> be great.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Now for some results (out of date, but also has results with backported code
from 2.5) see http://lse.sf.net/locking/dcache/dcache.html.

Preliminary profiling of webserver benchmarks in 2.5.3X show similar potential
for dcache_rcu. I will have actual results published when we can
get formal runs done.

Thanks
--
Dipankar Sarma <dipankar@in.ibm.com> http://lse.sourceforge.net
Linux Technology Center, IBM Software Lab, Bangalore, India.