    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: 2.5.26 hotplug failure

    >>I wasn't joking about putting back the /proc/bus/usb/drivers file. This is
    >>really going to hurt us in 2.6.

    Considering that the main use of that file that I know about was
    implicit (usbfs is available if its files are present, another
    assumption broken in 2.5), I'm not sure I feel any pain... :-)

    > Is this file _really_ used? All it did was show the USB drivers
    > registered. Even so, that same information is now present in driverfs,
    > I haven't taken away anything, just moved it. Lots of things are
    > starting to move to driverfs, this isn't the first, and will not be the
    > last.

    Actually it does more than that ... it tells you what minor numbers
    are assigned to the drivers _currently loaded_ which means that it's
    not really useful the instant someone plugs in another device.

    You can't use it to allocate numbers or tell what /dev/file/name matches
    a given device ... so what is its value, other than providing a limited
    minor number counterpart to /proc/devices? (Which, confusingly, doesn't
    list devices but major numbers.)

    - Dave

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.022 / U:29.768 seconds]