    Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > My personal estimation is that Debian will support kernel 2.4 in it's
    > stable distribution until 2006 or 2007 (this is based on the experience
    > that Debian usually supports two stable kernel series and the time between
    > stable releases of Debian is > 1 year). What is the proposed way for
    > distributions to deal with this?

    Two ways:

    - - continue to use the old code

    - - backport the required functionality

    Note that not all the changes Ingo made have to be ported back to 2.4.
    Only those required for correct execution, not the optimizations.

    Whether Marcello is interested in this I cannot say, I doubt it though.
    But this does not mean you cannot have such a kernel in Debian.

    - --
    - ---------------. ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
    Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA
    Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.020 / U:1.000 seconds]