SubjectRe: Benchmarks for performance patches (-ck) for 2.4.19
Date
>> I mean, besides making the kernel with as low latency as possible,
what
>> is bad about the responsiveness in the kernel? If there's any lag in
>> responsiveness that i see it's always something X related,
particularly
>> Xfree86.
>

>"low latency" != responsiveness
>

>Any latency which is below the point the user can notice
>is effectively zero, so whether the 10000 wakeups/minute
>that the user doesn't notice are 2ms or 5ms don't really
>matter.

absolugtely correct. My main grief wrt. responsiveness of desktop
systems is when the VM decides to grow the cache at the cost of pushing
parts of KDE into swap. As a result, "activating" windows that I
haven't touched for some time takes noticeable delays, which ruins the
interactiveness.

My best setup for this is to have lots of memory and disable swap (and
live with the consequences- eg. triggering the OOM killer).

Admittedly, things seem to be much better now than six month ago.

Martin
--
Martin Knoblauch
Senior System Architect

e-mail: martin.knoblauch@mscsoftware.com
http://www.mscsoftware.com
Phone/Fax: +49-89-431987-189 / -7189
Mobile: +49-174-3069245

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.486 / U:1.500 seconds]