    SubjectRe: PATCH: sundance #2
    On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Thanks to Donald for his comments. This patch addresses the first of
    > his two emails.
    >
    > This patch is _cumulative_ with the last one I sent (sundance 1.04), so
    > do not discard that one.
    >
    > Again additional testing is appreciated. Keep the feedback coming,
    > there will be more sundance bugfixes (patch #3, #4, etc.)

    + - If no phy is found, fail to load that board
    + - Always start phy id scan at id 1 to avoid problems (Donald Becker)
    + - Autodetect where mii_preable_required is needed,
    + default to not needed. (Donald Becker)
    +
    +/* Set iff a MII transceiver on any interface requires mdio preamble.
    + This only set with older tranceivers, so the extra
    + code size of a per-interface flag is not worthwhile. */
    +static int mii_preamble_required = 0;

    You can get rid of this as a module option, and make it a per-interface
    setting.
    The transceiver on the Kendin chip requires this (rather old-fashioned)
    access method, while none of the previous Sundance-based boards with
    external transceivers did.

    I added it as a module parameter as a back-up over-ride, but I'm certain
    that the automatic detection works.

    This is a module parameter because I recently had a bad experience
    with a specific 3Com 3c905B chip rev. It claimed to not need
    transceiver preamble, but would not work without it.

    > Theory of Operation

    Whoever changed the transmit path should update the TOO.

    - {"Sundance Technology Alta", {0x020113F0, 0xffffffff,},
    - PCI_IOTYPE, 128, CanHaveMII},
    + {"D-Link DFE-550TX FAST Ethernet Adapter"},
    + {"D-Link DFE-550FX 100Mbps Fiber-optics Adapter"},

    Yeah, you should probably throw away the rest of the changes.
    You are probably going to want to keep the drv_flags field. I know
    that all of the current chips have the same flag (CanHaveMII), but...

    --
    Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
    Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com