SubjectRe: PATCH: sundance #2
On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Thanks to Donald for his comments. This patch addresses the first of
> his two emails.
> This patch is _cumulative_ with the last one I sent (sundance 1.04), so
> do not discard that one.
> Again additional testing is appreciated. Keep the feedback coming,
> there will be more sundance bugfixes (patch #3, #4, etc.)

+ - If no phy is found, fail to load that board
+ - Always start phy id scan at id 1 to avoid problems (Donald Becker)
+ - Autodetect where mii_preable_required is needed,
+ default to not needed. (Donald Becker)
+/* Set iff a MII transceiver on any interface requires mdio preamble.
+ This only set with older tranceivers, so the extra
+ code size of a per-interface flag is not worthwhile. */
+static int mii_preamble_required = 0;
You can get rid of this as a module option, and make it a per-interface
The transceiver on the Kendin chip requires this (rather old-fashioned)
access method, while none of the previous Sundance-based boards with
external transceivers did.

I added it as a module parameter as a back-up over-ride, but I'm certain
that the automatic detection works.

This is a module parameter because I recently had a bad experience
with a specific 3Com 3c905B chip rev. It claimed to not need
transceiver preamble, but would not work without it.

> Theory of Operation

Whoever changed the transmit path should update the TOO.

- {"Sundance Technology Alta", {0x020113F0, 0xffffffff,},
- PCI_IOTYPE, 128, CanHaveMII},
+ {"D-Link DFE-550TX FAST Ethernet Adapter"},
+ {"D-Link DFE-550FX 100Mbps Fiber-optics Adapter"},
Yeah, you should probably throw away the rest of the changes.
You are probably going to want to keep the drv_flags field. I know
that all of the current chips have the same flag (CanHaveMII), but...

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
Annapolis MD 21403 410-990-9993