    SubjectRe: ext3 throughput woes on certain (possibly heavily fragmented) files
    On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 03:39:11PM -0700, Simon Kirby wrote:
    > This box is primarily running a POP3 server (written in-house to cache
    > mbox offsets, so that it can handle a huge volume of mail), and also
    > exports the mail spool via NFS to other servers which run exim (-fsync).
    > nfsd is exported async. Everything is mounted noatime, nodiratime. No
    > applications should be calling sync/fsync/fdatasync or using O_SYNC.
    > It's a mail server, so everything is fragmented.
    >
    > We're using dotlocking. Would this cause metadata journalling? We had
    > to hash the mail spool a long time ago do to system time eating all CPU
    > (the ext2 linear directory scan to find a slot available in the spool
    > directory to add the dotlock file). I estimate about 200 - 300 dotlock
    > files are created per second, but these should all be asynchronous.
    > Would switching to fctnl() locking (if this works over NFS) solve the
    > problem?

    I'd absolutly go to fcntl(). As bad as dotlocking is for
    journaling filesystems it is even worse for NFS (when it works).
    Look at the lkml thread "invalidate_inode_pages in 2.5.32/3"
    to get an idea. Multiply the directory invalidations by the
    size of the directories. fcntl() is the preferred way of locking
    over NFS as it will even report if there is a problem with
    lockd.