       From: Andi Kleen <>
    Date: 17 Sep 2002 23:00:38 +0200

    Also reading HPET is somewhat more costly than reading TSCs because it
    goes to the southbridge, so there are cases where using TSC is
    probably better (e.g. I think for networking packet time stamping the
    TSC is just fine with all its limitations)

    The cpu gets a bus clock input, so the system tick should be processor
    local as much as TSC is.

    It's boggling that this is being messed up so much. I can't believe
    Sun got something incredibly right (Ultra-III has a system tick) :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.019 / U:6.252 seconds]