    SubjectRe: Problems accessing USB Mass Storage
    Don't know if this is helpful or not, but, based on my messing around with
    SmartMedia USB stuff...

    SmartMedia cards are weird in that they have a (seemingly) random amount of
    waste space at the beginning of the card. Your 8MB card, in particular,
    has nothing of interest in the first 25 sectors. Some cards have a
    reasonable partition table in the first sector, and some don't. Modern
    Windows systems (and cameras, of course) seem to be able to access the
    filesystem on the card without needing to see a partition table.

    A little while I posted a Lexar SmartMedia driver patch which hacked around
    this by substituting a fake partition table when the first sector was read.
    I'm not sure it's the right solution, though. A better way, perhaps, is a
    little user-space program which writes the appropriate partition table
    depending on the card capacity. Note that fdisk doesn't (easily) work for
    this purpose, since it wants partitions to start on cylinder boundaries.

    You might try just using dd to copy your card to disk with an offset of 25
    sectors, and see of you can mount the resulting image.

    Then again, the interface to some SmartMedia readers is vastly more
    complicated, as the sddr09 driver shows.

    jon

    Jonathan Corbet
    Executive editor, LWN.net
    corbet@lwn.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.029 / U:1.728 seconds]