    SubjectRe: Configuring kernel
    I seem to remember either the early RH 7.x series or 6.x series did not
    necessarily install ncurses by default, thus make menuconfig did not
    run. If you did a very slim install, you may not have the right
    libraries to do what you need. Do an 'rpm -q ncurses ncurses-devel' and
    see what you get. If either is not found, make menuconfig will not run.

    Adam Jaskiewicz wrote:

    >>I downloaded the sofware and opened it in the /usr/src
    >>directory. I did the following
    >>1. unzipped the tar file
    >>2. mv linux linux-2.4.16
    >>3 ln -s linux-2.4.16 linux
    >>4. changed to linux directory and issued the command
    >>make mproper.
    >>Then when I issued the command make xconfig I was
    >>getting errors. I got similar errors when I tried to
    >>use the following commands make menuconfig, make
    >What errors did you get? We need to know what the errors are to help you.
    >>When I used the command uname -i I still was getting
    >>the kernel version as 2.4.2.
    >>I do not know why this error is coming.
    >This is not an error. If you did not install a new kernel and reboot your
    >computer with the new kernel, uname will still have the same kernel version.
    >Once you have properly configured, compiled and installed the kernel and its
    >modules, you reboot the computer to apply the new kernel. Then uname will
    >give you the new version.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.034 / U:16.868 seconds]