SubjectRe: 2.4.19 SCSI core bug?
Russell King [rmk@arm.linux.org.uk] wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:19:00PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > Ok, so we were asking for 0xfe 512-byte sectors, which is 130048.
> > So why did SCSI tell me that it wanted 38400 bytes in
> > SCpnt->request_bufflen?
>
> Ok, problem found.
>
> There's a nice loop in scsi_send_eh_cmnd() which just loops endlessly
> trying to retry a SCpnt command on medium error without restoring it
> to its pristine state before giving it back to the host, or limiting
> the number of retries.

The scsi_eh_completed_normally function should be limiting your retries.
So you should not be looping endlessly unless the problem of sending
down a dirty command is causing another issue.

I have a cleanup patch for 2.5 scsi_error I will add this fix in.
scsi_send_eh_cmnd should not be retrying the command it should return to
the caller the status and let them decide. We also should create a
?restore_scsi_cb? function that is shared so that it is done
consistently.

Eventually the retry policy is going to be changed, but until then we
should fix this problem.

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson