    SubjectRe: [RFC] Raceless module interface
    Date
    In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0209121043160.28515-100000@serv> you write:
    > Sigh, please let's analyze the complete problem first, before making any
    > more kludges.
    > Every (loaded) module is at least registered with two hooks in the kernel
    > - the module structure and a driver structure (e.g. file_system_type for
    > fs). During unloading we have to remove these hooks safely again.
    > A module basically goes through these stages during its lifetime:
    > 1. module load
    > 2. module init
    > 3. module exit
    > 4. module unload
    > The problem now is stage 3, as it's not allowed to fail. This means before

    Nope, that's one of the two problems. Read my previous post: the
    other is partial initialization.

    Your patch is two-stage delete, with the additional of a usecount
    function. So you have to move the usecount from the module to each
    object it registers: great for filesystems, but I don't think it buys
    you anything (since they were easy anyway).

    Moreover, I don't see where your patch prevented someone increasing
    the module count during try_unregister_module(), so that check is
    pointless (do it in userspace unless they specify rmmod -f).

    Alexey said we needed two-stage module delete back in 1999, so this is
    not a new idea...

    Rusty.