SubjectRe: XFS?
Date
> > I'm not sure if you're saying that this is a bad thing or a good thing.
> > FWIW,
>
> Unless you like tyrany choice is a good thing(TM). Trust
> me, i don't like tyrany.

I like the way you phrased that...

> On Solaris and some other platforms you can, with lots of
> money, buy a license to run the Veritas journaling
> filesystem. It comes with a license manager and you have to
> get license keys to mount the filesystems. Ever had a
> filesystem not come up after a reboot because the license
> expired, i have (ouch, i told management to renew the
> license). Is veritas fast? I don't know. They hype the
> journaling, not speed. And what are you going to benchmark
> against?.

Wow.. I thought it was a pain in the ass when we had licencing problems with
ClearCase.

> Recently Veritas announced they were going to support Linux.
> I'm curious to see how they fare in a shootout with the
> other journaling filesystems. Of course i wouldn't taint MY
> kernel to run it when i have four others to choose from.

Why, oh, why would anybody _pay_ for something like that when there's a
plethora of excellent filesystems for Linux already?!

> Fantastic. And that is largly without competition. Just
> wait and watch what the JFS and XFS developers do to improve
> their products to keep up.

At least there seems to be active & open development on them.

Thanks for the reply!

-Nick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.105 / U:2.012 seconds]