SubjectRe: Heuristic readahead for filesystems
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 11. September 2002 20:43 schrieb Xuan Baldauf:
>
> > > Please correct me, if I am wrong, but wouldn't read() block ?
> >
> > AFAIK, "man open" tells
> >
> > [...]
> > int open(const char *pathname, int flags);
> > [...]
> > O_NONBLOCK or O_NDELAY
> > The file is opened in non-blocking mode. Neither the open
> > nor any __subsequent__ operations on the file descriptor
> > which is returned will cause the calling process to wait.
> > [...]
> >
> > So read won't block if the file has been opened with O_NONBLOCK.
>
> Well, so the man page tells you. The kernel sources tell otherwise, unless
> I am badly mistaken.
>
> > > Aio should be able to do it. But even that want help you with the stat
> > > data.
> >
> > Aio would help me announcing stat() usage for the future?
>
> No, it won't. But it would solve the issue of reading ahead.
> Stating needs a kernel implementation of 'stat ahead'
> -

I think this is discussed in the future. Write-ahead is the
next problem solved. ?;)

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.424 / U:0.144 seconds]