    SubjectRe: Benchmarks for performance patches (-ck) for 2.4.19
    On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Ed Sweetman wrote:

    > Wouldn't the majority (to an undeniable extent) of the "responsiveness"
    > of desktop usage be on X's code? if we are talking about that. The
    > problem with finding a benchmark is that first you have to have a
    > definition of what you're benchmarking. The "system responsiveness"
    > term is far too vague. When there's a definition to the term there can
    > be a benchmark made to measure it.

    Agreed. Things like system responsiveness are fairly complex
    though and in many cases the average numbers measured by
    benchmarks don't mean anything to users.

    I wish we had a way to measure this stuff, but I'll happily
    philosophise with you guys until we come up with a useful
    definition of something we could measure...

    > I mean, besides making the kernel with as low latency as possible, what
    > is bad about the responsiveness in the kernel? If there's any lag in
    > responsiveness that i see it's always something X related, particularly
    > Xfree86.

    "low latency" != responsiveness

    Any latency which is below the point the user can notice
    is effectively zero, so whether the 10000 wakeups/minute
    that the user doesn't notice are 2ms or 5ms don't really

    What does matter are the wakeups that make the user's
    mp3 skip, even if these don't influence the statistics
    at all because there's only 1 every few minutes, or none,
    if the VM is balanced right ;)

    Another responsiveness thing is how fast you can swap in
    Mozilla when the user comes in in the morning. More of a
    throughput than a latency thing in this case ... but you
    still have to make sure the mp3 doesn't skip while mozilla
    is being loaded.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:12.672 seconds]