    SubjectRe: [bug, 2.5.29, IDE] partition table corruption?
    On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:01:27PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > just tested 2.5.29-vanilla, it works, without and with linear.
    > 2.5.30-vanilla is broken without linear, works with linear.

    Excellent, precisely as expected.

    [Yes, I don't know why an entire thread blossomed up around
    something very well understood. Many wrong statements were
    made, but I am too lazy to go and refute them all.

    Concerning what happened: Long ago, the kernel did some more or
    less silly things to get a geometry - for example, asking the
    BIOS and the disk; but that did not produce the desired results
    and someone added (in 1.3.61) some code to override the geometry
    found this way by something guessed from the partition table,
    in the good old tradition: is there a bug in a user space program?
    fix it in the kernel. That is the [PTBL] you see in kernel boot
    messages. Now that this kernel fix has been removed in a small
    cleanup operation, lilo will have to be fixed, or people will
    have to invoke lilo with linear, or so.

    The full truth is more complicated, but this is the full
    truth in your case.]

    Andries

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:36.120 seconds]